Upcoming & Regular Events (See below
for link to events of the recent past.)
- Personal Protection in the Home - NRA Course
View the Course
Announcement - Printable Flyer
- 2018 Dates:
June 20, Wednesday
June 22, Friday
June 23, Saturday
- Times: Wednesday & Friday, 6-9 pm
Saturday, 9 am - 2 pm
- Location: PLSC Clubhouse and ranges. (Go to PLSC location web page
Completion of this course will satisfy the Michigan training
requirement for applying for a Concealed Pistol License (CPL).
We have a team of instructors working together to help you
develop your handgun skills, learn about self defense and the law,
and teach you how to enhance your safety while in and around your
- Registration: Persons taking the course must register
through the the NRA Training web page for this course.
Go to NRA
registration web page for PLSC course.
- Information: The NRA web page provides specific and
detailed information about fees, fee payment procedures, contact
- Fee: Fee: $125. (2018 PLSC members qualify for a $25
- Note: The course is being offered as a
fund-raising activity to benefit the Portage Lake Sportsmen's Club.
- IDPA Classifier - A shooting event to classify
individuals for IDPA events.
- Date: 30 June 2018, Saturday
- Time: 8:30 AM - Registration & Safety Review
9:00 AM - Shooting begins
- Location: PLSC Range
- For costs, equipment, and other requirements, see the IDPA Classifier Information
- For further information, contact Scott Gruenberg (Club contact information).
- Range Familiarization & Safety Sessions
Attendance at a Range Familiarization & Safety
Session is required for all new applicants for membership, and at
least once every three years for all renewing annual members and for
life members. A membership card and gate lock combination
will be issued only after timely completion of a session.
Some sessions may be listed on the Club Calendar. If an individual
cannot attend a scheduled session, convenient times may usually be
arranged by contacting the Club Secretary. (Club contact information).
- Hunter Education Course
- Dates: Saturday & Sunday, 8 & 9 Sept 2018
(Students must attend both days)
- Location: PLSC Ranges and Clubhouse
- Mark your calendars. Further information will be posted here
- Deer Rifle Sight-In Day
- Date: Saturday, October 27, 2018
- Location: PLSC Clubhouse and rifle range.
- Mark your calendars. Further information will be posted
PLSC Events of the Recent Past
- Twice-Weekly Shotgun Five-Stand Shooting
Five-stand shooting activities begin in the spring as soon as the
facility is accessible and functional. Activities are discontinued
The regular summer schedule for 5-Stand shotgun:
6:00 PM Wednesdays
1:00 PM Sundays
Location: 5-Stand Facility at PLSC grounds.
Cost: $5 per round of 25 clay targets. Surcharge for non-members.
For information contact John DePuydt.(Club
contact information page )
Also review the section of Clay Range Rules included in the list of
(PLS Club Rules.)
- Weekly Practical Pistol Shooting (IDPA)
Practice sessions for practical pistol shooting being in the spring
as soon as the range is accessible. Activities on the club ranges
are discontinued usually in September.
The regular summer practice sessions for practical pistol shooting:
6:30 PM Tuesdays
Location: At the pistol pit range on the clubhouse grounds.
Cost: $2.50 per session. Surcharge for non-members.
For further information contact Scott Gruenberg. (Club contact information)
- Recent Activities
Link to List
In addition to the activities scheduled above, the Portage Lake
Sportsmen's Club has organized and sponsored a variety of
activities throughout the year during the last few months. The
list of activities on the linked page is provided as information
for members, prospective members, and others interested in PLSC